Often it can be difficult to know when our roof is failing. Fortunately, there are clues to look for.
The following are signs that may indicate that your roof needs replacing:
Missing or cracked shingles
- Blistering or peeling paint
- Shingle, sheathing, or siding decay
- Leakage in the attic after heavy rains
- Stains on interior walls or ceilings
- High energy bills
- Shingle edges are curled or shingle tabs are cupped
- Bald spots where granules are missing
- Your roof is at least 20 years old; while many shingles today are produced for durability, many factors can accelerate the aging of shingles.
- Neighbors are getting new roofs. Homes built around the same time period and experiencing the same types of weather conditions can mean that your roof is nearing its useful life
- The roof just looks old and worn
- Dark streaks. Airborne algae cause dark streaks on roof decks. While this may not necessarily harm the roof shingles, it may not look good.
- Moss. Moss can grow on roof surfaces that don’t get much sunlight especially in cool, moist climates. Moss holds moisture against the roof surface and overtime in freezing climates can cause damage to the granules on the top of the shingles.
If you have any of these problems, be sure to call a reputable professional roofer to inspect for damage or wear.
Craig Gouker Roofing has been installing quality residential roofing in South East Pittsburgh since 1991 and is the expert in shingle roof replacement.