Prepare your home's roof with some do-it-yourself preparations.
- If you are aware of leaks have them repaired to prevent further and consequential damage.
- Clear the roof surface and gutters of debris that can cause ice to build-up and dam. Cleaning gutters allows water to flow easily preventing costly ice damage. Make sure downspouts are also clear and water flows smoothly down and away from the house.
- Make sure the roof is properly ventilated. This will prevent ice build up and the likelihood of ice dams.
- Check your ceilings and attic for leaks you are not yet aware of. Look for dark spots, sagging, mold and insects. Look for light coming in indicating openings in the roofing.
- Look for weak spots. These areas become a problem when heavy snow adds weight to the roof structure.
- Check flashing and attachments for tight fit.
Be sure to consult a professional roofing contractor for evaluation and repair to protect your warranty and ensure properly completed repairs.
Craig Gouker Roofing has been installing quality residential roofing in South East Pittsburgh since 1991 and is the expert in asphalt shingle roof replacement.